From many days, I was facing the problem that how to read faster and understand the context easily. To get as much knowledge you have to read more and more books. But the problem was that it takes too much time to complete a chapter for me. Do you also face this problem? Are you interested to increase your reading speed? I have done researched a lot for the same. And finally, get a solution that I implemented for myself and get a wonderful result.
If you are also searching for the answer to the question of how to read faster and understand. Then you are in the right place. Here I am sharing all the steps and procedure that should be followed to overcome this problem. In this article, you are going to know about the solution to the same problem how to read faster and understand the context easily, how to stop subvocalization?
How to read faster and understand the context easily?
Reading can be classified as:-
- Intensive reading:- The type of reading in which your intention is to learn something. In this, you do deep study and stop at the word that you don’t know to research and get the idea about them.
- Extensive reading:- The type of reading in which you read for fun. You just skip the text and move forward to understand the meaning of the sentence. Your main motto is to understand. In this article, you are going to know details to read faster for extensive study.
1. Full Focus:-
The first thing that you have to do a fast reading is that you have to give your full attention and focus on the reading. Don’t try to be a multi-tasker, it distracts your mind and disturbs your focus. Read with passion, not just for the formality. You can achieve anything in your life If you give your full focus toward it. There is nothing in this world that can stop you if you are really dedicated to your work. You all know that you have to focus on the work to get a good result. But here a question comes that hot? You can also read more about How to stop wasting time and utilize it more productive?
How to focus on the given work?
Some points are described below that can help you to focus on the work you want to:-
- Prepare your brain:- Before starting any work, first prepare your brain for it. Make your brain calm and get it ready for the work. Take 30-60 seconds to get the idea about the topic, read the heading and subheadings. Look at the pictures and try to create your interest in the topic. Get a preview of the text.
- Find out the things that inspire you:- Every time when you lose your focus. Remember that thing that really keeps you motivated to your work. Generate your interest in the topic.
- Get your study place organized:- Keep all the things that are required at the time of your reading. Get the water and snacks, that you need at the time of the study, to avoid any type of distractions.
- Keep yourself away from the distraction:- Turn off the internet and notification of your mobile, to avoid the distraction.
- Prioritize the task:- Decide and prioritize your task. S that it will be clear to you that on which task you have to focus first and who is to be focused later.
- Make daily to-do-list:- Always try to be in a routine life, so that you can keep yourself organized.
2. Stop talking to yourself while you read:-
There exist to types of distraction:- outer and inner. Former is discussed above and to avoid the later one, You need will power. Don’t self- talking while you read. There are again two types of self- talk 1. Talking with moving your lips when you read, which is termed as vocalizing and 2. talking without moving your lips inside your brain while you read, which is known as subvocalizing.
Both of these can slow down your reading speed, as it takes time to speak inside and then understands the context. try to avoid both. At the time of reading use only your eyes and brain. An eye for looking at the text and brain to imagine the situation in your mind. This you can increase your reading and understanding speed. You can also read more about How can I start to speak fluent English like a native speaker?
3. Follow the rules:-
- It generally happens that when you read you get a little eye stops to break in between the reading. After reading a word or sentences. This is a bad habit, as it wastes your time and makes your imagination to not get connected with the last sentence. A good reader avoids taking a stop breaks in between. They read a paragraph without any break in between. Try to read as many words, phrase, and sentences at a time.
- Avoid the Re-reading of the same words, or phrases much time. Get an idea of the topic before and be in flow while reading. Reading the same text much time is the waste of the time.
4. Increase your speed:-
Have command on the speed. Don’t read all the text with the same speed. A good reader usually increases their speed while reading the easy text and decrease their speed at the time of reading the difficult text. Don’t try to read each and every single word. Use your eyes for the scanning process and try to scan the text and move forward. Yeah, you can’t do it instantly. It will take some time and a lot of practice. You can also read more about How can I overcome the fear of failure and achieve success?
5. Read and practice more:-
Reading is a skill, and to develop a new skill takes time and practice. After knowing all these steps and process, its time to get it implemented. You can not get these all instantly. You all know that without practice you cannot improve anything within you. practice more and more to be perfect. read more and more to get the habit of reading and understanding the text faster. Believe in yourself, that you can do it.
How to stop subvocalization?
What is subvocalization?
Subvocalization is the speaking inside your brain while reading the text. This is a natural process, which makes our mind to understand the context while reading. It is a time-consuming process, in which you use to see the text, read it in the mind and then you understand it. But to increase your reading speed you need to avoid a step of subvocalization from these steps.
Below are some steps which will help you avoid it:-
- Use your hand gesture to understand the text:- First of all, this is a skill and it will take time to develop it. So have patience and believe in yourself and do the practice. To get rid of any bad habit takes time. Avoiding subvocalization instantly is not possible. So, replace the habit with the using of hand gesture for understanding the text.
- Listen to music:– Replace your habit of subvocalization with the habit of listening to music. After a few days when you completely get rid of it. Then you can continue with the scanning and understanding process of the reading.
- Use AccelaReader.com:- It is a wonderful application, which helps you to increase your speed and minimize your subvocalization and it is very simple and easy to use. You just need to copy and paste the text in the textbox that you are going to read and set the reading speed that you want to read at and finally tap on the “play” to play the text. And, thus you can increase the reading speed gradually.
- Force yourself:- Being in the comfort zone always, you are not going to achieve anything. Hence force yourself to be out of your comfort zone. You have to be so strong that you can compel yourself to be out of your comfort zone and to read at speed more than you have. You can also read more about What are the ways to reduce sleeping hours?
Conclusion:- In the above article, you have learned about how to read faster and understand the context easily, how to stop subvocalization. You learned that there are a few simple steps to achieve it. But you need to have a lot of patience and practice more and more. Set your priority and make a to-do-list and follow them strictly to avoid any kind of distraction. You have to give your full attention and avoid self- talking to increase your reading speed.