At the beginning of the week, Microsoft released new cumulative updates to fix security and nonsecurity bugs across all versions of Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7. According to Microsoft’s discussion forum, Windows 10 KB4074588 causes 0x80070bc2 on some computers and update cannot be installed. This update is intended only for systems running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709). This is also one of the updates sent by Microsoft to the patch. When you try to install a cumulative update, only a small number of Windows 10 devices may find the error 0x80070bc2. Although the January 2018 upgrade was a nightmare for many Windows users, these errors are not as prevalent as they were before. It is likely that Microsoft is already aware of the 0x80070bc2 error for Windows 10.
This problem usually occurs when any program stops the installation process on the system. In addition, a damaged and corrupted Windows Update cache may be causing a problem. when you update your PC then you system required to restarts but in the certain cumulative patch, the restart process is fixed in the loop. Because other users are successfully installing the same updates without any problems we can not even blame the version. Here, we outlined the most likely solutions to fix the 0x80070bc2 error when installing a cumulative update in Windows 10.
How to Fix Error 0x80070bc2 while installing Cumulative update in Windows 10
Here are some solution to fix Error 0x80070bc2 while installing Cumulative update
Clear the Windows Update cache
If the KB4048955 cumulative update downloading process get stops at 0% or 99% pr failed to install then there are the high possibilities that the file is itself corrupted. In such situation, you first clear the cache of Windows Update that store all the upgrade-related files.
- Step 1: you must stop the Windows Updates service before proceeding. To do this press Win+R to open the Run Dialog. Type services.msc in the void text box and press enter button on the keyboard.
- Step 2: Find the service console on the Windows Updates. Right-click and select “Stop.”
- Step 3: Now go to this path C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Step 4: Once you reach there, select all items by making a joint press of Ctrl+A. Then, right-click on the selected one, and select Delete.
- Select 5: Run the service console again. And this time run the Windows Update service.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Troubleshooter is one of the best and reliable utilities of Windows 10 that can fix almost all the problem related to the Windows 10. so before choosing another process you should try this method once to resolve the 0x80070bc2 error.
- First right click on the starts button and after clicking a list of the options display. Choose the “Setting” option from the visible list.
- Just click on the “Security and updates” from the Windows setting
- Choose Troubleshooting in the left column, and then navigate to the right pane of this window. In the “Getting up and Working” section, you will see several options Select Windows Update from here and then click Run Troubleshooter.
- Now the Troubleshooter begins scanning the system for detecting issues. If the windows fixed the issues automatically then you will get the Windows with notifications and the detection results.
Set Windows Update services to automatic
- Click Cortana and type cmd.exe in the search box. When the result pops up, right-click on the Command Prompt (desktop application), and then click Run as Administrator.
- If the UAC pop-up then clicks on the Yes to continue.
- Write down the below mentioned command on the windows and hit enter after each line.
SC config wuauserv start= auto
SC config bits start= auto
SC config cryptsvc start= auto
SC config trustedinstaller start= auto
- once this process is completed then restart your system and then try to install the updates again. It is sure that this time the error is fixed.
Manually Install the Update
- First, go to the Microsoft Update catalog page
- Once it becomes visible then put the build name in the Search Box and then hit Enter.
- After that, you will get all the versions and then select your desired one and then Hit on Download which is located beside the patch.
Reset Windows Update Components
If any of the methods discussed below does not help in solving the Error 0x80070bc2 while installing Cumulative update error then this process might be useful for You.
- First, open the command prompt as Admin.
- When it appears on the display, copy-paste or enter the following commands one after the other. to stop BITS, Windows Update, MSI Installer services. Do not forget to press Enter after each line-
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
- After that Run the below command in order to remove qmgr*.dat files.
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Network\\Downloader\\qmgr*.dat”
Again Write the Code cd /d %windir%\\system32 and then hit Enter to continue.
- Now you need to re-register BITS and Windows Update files. To do this, write each command one after the other independently and press the Enter key after each of them to allow them to execute.
- After that, reset Winsock by running the following given command-
netsh winsock reset
netsh winhttp reset proxy
- Now restart the service that you have stopped in the starting of the process. To do so Run the following given command-
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Finally restarts the system after successfully executing all the command.
Hope Using all these methods you can efficiently fix the error Error 0x80070bc2 while installing Cumulative update.